A senior police officer has confirmed that heroin played a role in the tragic death of Peaches Geldof.
The 25-year-old daughter of Sir Bob Geldof, who was found dead at her country home earlier this month, had traces of heroin in her system.
Detective Inspector Paul Fotheringham confirmed the model and writer had taken heroin a short time before her death.
Peaches’ husband had taken their two sons – Astala, 2, and Phaedra, 1, with him for the weekend trip, but his father brought Phaedra back to Peaches that Sunday, April 6. Geldof’s youngest child was in the home with her when she died.
A source stated, “Peaches maintained contact with family and friends throughout Sunday and at 5 p.m. Thomas’s father Keith Cohen took the youngest child, Phaedra, back to Wrotham and spent half an hour with Peaches before leaving the child with her.”
Geldof’s husband, Thomas Cohen, discovered Peaches slumped over in their spare bedroom with one leg on the floor, after being unable to get her on the telephone.
He went to their home with his mother, Sue, and 23-month-old son Astala, arriving at around 1:30 p.m.
A source said, “She was located on the edge of the bed with one leg hanging down to the floor and the other leg tucked underneath her. She was slumped across the bed”.
Police and paramedics arrived and confirmed she was dead.
At the opening of her inquest at Gravesend Coroners Court, Fotheringham, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said a post-mortem examination was inconclusive, prompting further tests.
Fotheringham also stated, “Recent use of heroin and the levels identified were likely to have played a role in her death.”
A Kent Police spokesman said, “We can confirm there is an ongoing investigation into the supply of drugs in connection with the death of Peaches Geldof.”
Peaches’ own mother Paula Yates died from an accidental heroin overdose in 2000 at the age of 41. Peaches appeared to be obsessed with her mom’s death prior to her own.
On the day of her death, Peaches posted a picture of herself as a young girl with her late mother.
Peaches had a long history of drug use. At the inquest into the death of her friend Freddy McConnel, who died from a drug overdose aged 18 in 2011, it was revealed that he had planned to ‘inject’ for the first time during a visit by Peaches.
He wrote in his diary, “Peaches is coming over later and I am going to inject for the first time. Perhaps I will die. I hope I don’t”.
Peaches also was treated for a drug overdose in 2008.
Click thumbnails for larger pictures