Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to law enforcement.
The Oscar winner had recently separated from his longtime girlfriend, Mimi O’Donnell”, in the months before his death.
The 46-year-old actor, who has three young children all under the age of 11 with the costume designer, also 46, began renting a $10,000-a-month apartment in Bethune Street in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village in October.
Hoffan’s body was discovered by his friend and playwright David Bar Katz, who had been asked by Mimi if she could check on him after he missed picking up their three children.
Katz called 911 around 11:30 a.m. on Sunday morning after he and a female friend found the actor in his underwear on his apartment’s bathroom floor. Sources reveal he still had a syringe in his arm.
Mimi O’Donnell, his partner of 14 years, was banned from entering the bathroom by the police.
Hollywood stars were shocked and saddened upon learning of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death.
George Clooney, who directed and costarred in “Ides Of March” with Philip in 2011, stated, “There are no words. It’s just terrible”.
Tom Hanks, who starred alongside Hoffman in “Charlie Wilson’s War”, said, “This is a horrible day for those who worked with Philip. He was a giant talent. Our hearts are open for his family”.
“Breaking Bad” actor Aaron Paul, who worked with the actor on 2006’s “Mission: Impossible III”, tweeted, “We lost one of the greats today. Philip Seymour Hoffman RIP my friend. You will be missed always and forever.”
Actor Elijah Wood tweeted, “heartbroken and shocked. what a true loss. rest in peace, Philip Seymour Hoffman”.
Jim Carrey wrote, “Dear Philip, a beautiful beautiful soul. For the most sensitive among us the noise can be too much. Bless your heart. ;^”
Jeff Bridges said, “I’m so shocked, and so sad hearing of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death. I enjoyed playing with him on The Big Lebowski. He was such a wonderful guy, and so damn talented, a real treasure. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
Robert De Niro stated, “I’m very, very saddened by the passing of Phil. He was a wonderful actor. This is one of those times where you say ‘this just shouldn’t be. He was so young and gifted and had so much going, so much to live for’. My family and I send our deepest condolences to his family”.
Police reported the “Big Lebowski” star was found in the bathroom of his West Village apartment. He reportedly had a syringe in his arm and was surrounded by bags of what is believed to be heroin.
He had previously admitted to drug use and checked into rehab last year to deal with his issues.
Another talented star gone too soon due to drugs. So sad.
Click thumbnails for larger pictures