The cause of death for Philip Seymour Hoffman was an acute mixed drug intoxication of heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine.
The 46-year-old Oscar-winning actor was found dead in his West Village apartment surrounded by used syringes and 70 bags of heroin on February 2.
Hoffman’s tragic death came less than a year after he completed a stint in rehab for his addiction after being clean for two decades.
The New York medical examiner released his findings on Friday, ruling the death as “accidental”.
One of the drugs found in Hoffman’s system was benzodiazepine, a sedative and muscle relaxant that is often used for anxiety.
The other prescription drug found in Hoffman’s system was an upper like Adderall.
The mixture of heroin and cocaine is called “speedballing”, which is the same mixture that claimed the lives of River Phoenix, John Belushi and Chris Farley.
olice had been investigating his death as a suspected drug overdose.
Law enforcement officials have said Hoffman was found Feb. 2 with a needle in his arm, and tests found heroin in samples from at least 50 packets in his Manhattan apartment.
The 46-year-old star of “Capote” and “The Master” said in interviews last year that he had sought treatment for a heroin problem after 23 years of sobriety.
Click thumbnails for larger pictures