“Buckwild” star Shain Gandee was found dead along with two other people in West Virginia.
The MTV reality star had been reported missing since Sunday. The deaths are currently under investigation, but no foul play appears to be involved.
“Buckwild” star Shain Gandee died from carbon monoxide poisoning, which was confirmed by a rep for the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office after Gandee’s autopsy was completed today. Shain’s death was ruled an accident.
Gandee, 21, was reportedly found dead along with two other people in a vehicle in Sissonville, West Virginia.
Cpl. B.D. Humphreys of the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Department said the vehicle was in a muddy area that’s difficult to reach.
The Kanawha County Sheriff’s Department said Gandee and his uncle, 48-year-old David Gandee, were last seen about 3 a.m. at a bar in Sissonville. The men reportedly told patrons at a bar that they were going off-roading in Shain’s Ford Bronco.
The 21-year-old reality star, his uncle David Gandee, and a family friend named Robert Myer were discovered dead in the 1984 Ford Bronco.
“This is a very sad and tragic event,” Kanawha County Commissioner Kent Carper said. “We live in a very small community. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Gandee family. The full details will be released later by the Kanawha County Sheriff Department.”
Brian Humphreys, the Public Information Officer of Kanawha County Sheriff Department, stated, “There was no sign of foul play. Carbon monoxide poisoning seems plausible. The investigation is on-going.”
Shain’s red Ford Bronco was recovered using a bulldozer from the muddy pit where it was discovered. It appears as if the vehicle was submerged in mud, which supports the theory the three men died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The deadly fumes from the vehicle could not escape because the tailpipe was completely submerged in the mud.
News of Gandee’s death comes days after another “Buckwild” star, Salwa Amin, was arrested for possessing oxycodone and heroin with the intent to distribute.
Amin was arrested a second time for failing a court ordered urine test, which ended up testing positive for drugs.
The reality show “Buckwild” premiered on MTV in January and follows nine friends in Sissonville and Charleston, West Virginia.
MTV issued a statement on Shain Gandee’s death, saying, “We are shocked and saddened by the terrible news about Shain Gandee, and those involved in this tragic incident. We are waiting for more information but at this time, our main concern is for the Gandee family and their friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. Shain had a magnetic personality, with a passion for life that touched everyone he met and we will miss him dearly.”
Here’s Shain Gandee on Jimmy Fallon:
The producers of “Buckwild” have suspended filming the reality show as the autopsy confirms Shain died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Click thumbnails for larger pictures