Gigi has responded to critics who said she looked too skinny during her New York Fashion Week appearances. The model explained that she has an autoimmune condition, Hashimoto’s Disease, which has affected her weight.
She continued to say that over the last few years she has received medication to help with symptoms such as extreme fatigue, metabolism issues and her body’s ability to retain heat. “Although stress & excessive travel can also affect the body, I have always eaten the same, my body just handles it differently now that my health is better,” she explained. “I may be ‘too skinny’ for u, honestly this skinny isn’t what I want to be, but I feel healthier internally and am still learning and growing with my body everyday, as everyone is.”
For those seeking a Hadid-ian core, Piela suggests careful ab work four days a week—planks to work the deeper muscles, crunches for that visible six-pack, and leg raises to target the lower abdominals. “The combination of those three moves is golden,” he says, adding that eating well and avoiding sugar are equally key. Below, Piela breaks down a Hadid-approved core workout—for Insta-famous abs, in no time.
Gigi Hadid’s Core-Focused Workout
1. Warm up the core with 10 minutes of boxing.
2. Perform three sets of 40 crunches each.
3. Raise your heart rate with 10 minutes of boxing.
4. Perform three sets of 40 bicycle crunches each, kicking each leg out once per bicycle.
5. Box for another 10 minutes.
6. Take a plank pose to hit the transverse abdominals, holding for about 60 seconds, or as long as you can maintain good form (abs tight, no sway in the back, and the neck in a neutral position).
7. Super-set straight into leg raises to hit the lower abdominals, performing four sets of 25 leg raises each.