Amy Winehouse’s Death Caused By Alcohol Poisoning


Amy Winehouse died as an “unintended consequence” of drinking too much alcohol, the coroner ruled on Wednesday.

The singer downed so much liquor in the hours before her death that she was nearly five times the legal limit for drunk driving.

Winehouse was found dead in bed at her London home on July 23 by her security guard.

A police officer responding to the scene revealed there were three empty bottles of vodka in Amy’s bedroom.  But as her parents claimed, there were no traces of drugs in her system.

Winehouse’s parents, Mitch and Janis, were in attendance at the London hearing as pathologist Suhail Baithun revealed the results of the testing.

Coroner Suzanne Greenaway declared a verdict of death by misadventure.

Winehouse’s family said the verdict comes as a “relief” after months of uncertainty over the cause of her death.

The family said in a statement, “It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days.

“The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence.

“It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name. It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world. We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the Foundation.”

Click thumbnails for larger pictures



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here